Creative passion, client empathy and the ability to advocate from the user’s point of view: these are my strong traits.
I am an award-winning UI/UX Design professional with 20 years of interactive design direction experience. I have a strong background in engaging interfaces through the connecting, communicating, perfecting and proving design, including usability testing and competitive analysis. My foundation is interactive design and brand identity development.
Skills & Abilities
User Experience Solutions
Zeal for solving complex problems
Fiery passion for good design
Managing a Creative Team
Leading in deadline driven environments
Work & Experience
Awards and Honors
Hobbies & Interests
UX Development Process
Discovery and Strategy
Define the goals of the project up front.
With stakeholders, marketing/VoC reps, vision holders:
- Listen — Discuss current situation pain points and successes. Gather design/voice of customer goals, desired UI pattern guidelines.
- Requirements — Gather relevant marketing, systems engineering and production requirements
- Personas — Identify user groups, create personas and use scenarios to vet design against
- Considerations: Legacy products, competitive analysis (Therbligs), information delivery solution
Information Architecture Design
The goal is to set up a framework that achieves goals specified above. Use appropriate tools to capture and communicate interface layout, interactions and behaviors without an emphasis on look and feel.
- Sketches, Wireframes — how is information displayed? Goal: intuitive, efficient access to prioritized actions
- Workflow diagrams — optimized to support desired workflow and cross-references
- Low-fi clickable prototypes — browser, mobile, Powerpoint-based simple prototypes (communication tool to convey ideas in real-time)
- Simple spatial design mockups where appropriate
Develop and apply visual styling to wireframes.
- Style Guide development — design specifications. Adapt from existing or start new. Living document.
- Element design — typography, color selection, animation styles, navigation and labels, breadcrumbs, buttonology
- Mockups — pixel perfect, flush out all scenarios/edge cases
- High-fi clickable prototypes — Use production display with physical overlays when possible
How does the design measure up against the expectations of the users? Make the environment appropriate to the last being tested.
- Scenario/script writing — Is this a whole-product test or a specific procedure study? What A/B testing can be built into test?
- Testing protocol and environment selection — think aloud, A/B, co-discovery, question-asking, remote testing
- Post analysis — circle back to above steps and suggest/implement changes
- Rinse and repeat — as needed; each iteration includes refinements and as real-world as possible
Coding and Developer Handoff
Deliver documentation, graphic assets, hands-on guidance
- CSS Library — developing style library from Style Guide and designed Elements
- HTML — developer-ready static code, ready for wiring up
- Technology Integration — coding to specific dev shop's tech stack
- Support — Deliver documentation, graphic assets, hands-on guidance
20+ years of interactive experience.
A few kind words...
But possibly the most valuable of Jason's skills is his kind and motivating leadership style. He leads by example through his dedicated work ethic. He encourages innovation, exploration and empowers team members to deepen and broaden their skills and talents.